Open Source Solutions
- Apache Derby an Apache DB subproject, is an open source relational database implemented entirely in Java
- Firebird is a relational database offering many ANSI SQL standard features that runs on Linux, Windows, and a variety of Unix platforms. Firebird offers excellent concurrency, high performance, and powerful language support for stored procedures and triggers. It has been used in production systems, under a variety of names, since 1981.
- HSQLDB is the leading SQL relational database engine written in Java. It has a JDBC driver and supports a rich subset of ANSI-92 SQL (BNF tree format) plus SQL 99 and 2003 enhancements. It offers a small (less than 100k in one version for applets), fast database engine which offers both in-memory and disk-based tables and supports embedded and server modes. Additionally, it includes tools such as a minimal web server, in-memory query and management tools (can be run as applets) and a number of demonstration examples.
- Ingres is known as a reliable and scalable open source database the proprietary products Sybase, SQL Server and I nformix all have their roots in Ingres, as does PostgreSQL.
- Mysql database has become the world's most popular open source database because of its consistent fast performance, high reliability and ease of use, it's also become the database of choice for a new generation of applications built on the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP / Perl / Python.) MySQL runs on more than 20 platforms including Linux, Windows, OS/X, HP-UX, AIX, Netware, giving you the kind of flexibility that puts you in control.
- PicoSQL is the first Italian Open Source relational database management system. The project of picoSQL was born in 1995. It was an ODBC driver for COBOL indexed files. It consisted of a DLL written in C++ on Windows 3.1 operating system. The project of picoSQL was born in 1995. It was an ODBC driver for COBOL indexed files. It consisted of a DLL written in C++ on Windows 3.1 operating system. PicoSQL can be used from Windows applications (like MS-ACCESS ;�, MS-Query �, VB � etc.) in client/server modality using the ODBC driver picoSQLNet. It can moreover be used from appropriate Java programs through the JDBC driver comprised in the distribution. Finally it can be used from programs written in C and C++ through its set of ODBC 2.5 compliant API.
- Postgresql The worlds most advanced open source database is a powerful, open source relational database syste m. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctne ss. It runs on all major operating systems, including Linux, UNIX (AIX, BSD, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, Mac OS X, Solaris, Tru64), and Windows.
- Sqlite is a open source software library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transac tional SQL database engine. SQLite is the most widely deployed SQL database engine in the world. It is used in countless desktop computer applications as well as consumer electronic devices including cellphones, PDAs, and MP3 players.